Maple Bacon Cupcakes
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon bacon drippings (left in the fridge to become solid)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup milk [whole is supposed to be the best, I used 1% because that is what was in the house]
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon, cooked and drained
- The rest of the bacon for garnish
1. Cook the bacon! I cooked all of it at once. Save some of the drippins’ and put them in the fridge to solidify. (yah, that was definitely something that I never thought I would do – put bacon fat in my fridge)
2. Beat the crap out of the butter and solidified bacon fat ’till light and creamy. Thank goodness for my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer!.Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat well until combined.
3. Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
4. Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.The recipe said this was supposed to be a fine crumb. It definitely was not for me, it was very gooey and smooth.
5. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix, then 1/2 of the milk, then continue to alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in the bacon.
6. Now the recipe was for normal size cupcakes in which case you would want to scoop the batter into cupcake papers and bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.I made mini cupcakes so I just baked them for 12 minutes.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
Combine the syrup and butter until combined. Add the sugar, a bit at a time, and whip at high speeds until combined. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.